Are varicose veins stopping you from enjoying your life? It is estimated that about half of all women and men suffer will suffer from vein disease at some point in their lives.
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins can be caused by weak or damaged valves in the veins. Veins have valves that act as one-way flaps to prevent blood from flowing backwards as it moves up your legs. If the valves become weak, blood can leak back into the veins and collect there and when backed-up blood makes the veins bigger, they can become varicose.
Varicose veins are typically seen in the legs due to the pressure of the body weight and the vein’s inability to carry the blood supply back up to the heart.
What are the factors that can cause varicose veins?
- Age…As you age the valves in your veins may weaken or not work as well.
- Heredity…About half of those people with varicose veins have a family member that has them as well.
- Obesity…Extra weight can place extra pressure on your veins.
- Pregnancy & hormonal changes…Blood increases during pregnancy and the likelihood of vein problems increase with each subsequent pregnancy.
- Prolonged sitting or standing…occupations that require this increase the development of problem veins. Exercise such as jogging or body building can also place an additional amount of gravity force and weight on the veins.
What are the symptoms of Vein Disease?
In addition to visual detection of varicose or spider veins, symptoms can include:
- aching pain
- throbbing or cramping
- restlessness in legs
- itching, tingling or burning sensation
- discoloration or darkening of skin
Luckily, there are treatments to help ease the discomfort of varicose and spider veins. Treatments today are minimally invasive with little to no pain and are often covered by your health insurance.
If varicose or spider veins symptoms have left you unable to enjoy the everyday things in your life, contact a vascular specialist who can help. Dr. Sukir Sinnathamby is a highly skilled vascular physician specializing in non-invasive evaluations, diagnostic angiograms, and vascular procedures. Contact the Dr. Sinnathamby in Springboro, Ohio.